Father's Day Messages & Quotes
Father’s Day is the perfect opportunity to let your dad know what often goes unsaid. But finding the right words to write inside a card can be tricky. That’s why we’ve come up with this handy list of funny messages, inspirational quotes and well wishes to help you say, “Happy Father’s Day!” Whether he’s your dad, like-a-dad, a new or expectant dad, or even your lovely grandad, you’re sure to find a little inspiration to help you craft that perfect Father’s Day message. Time to get writing…
Father’s Day Wishes for Dad
For a truly thoughtful Father’s Day message, speak from the heart. Reflect on happy moments you’ve had together and show how thankful you are for everything your dad does. How about these to get you started?
- “You taught me how to be strong and stand on my own two feet. Thanks for everything Dad.”
- “For the dad who always fixes the things we break, who never fails to have a laugh and who supports our decisions, no matter how dumb they may seem. This is for you. We love you, Dad.”
- “Thanks for being the type of dad I aspire to be one day.”
- “The older I get, the more I realise how important it is to have a dad like you. Thank you for your support and guidance.”
- “You’re not just my dad, you’re my friend, mentor, counsellor and everything in between. I love you.”
- “For all the wonderful things you do that I might not always notice – thank you!” Top tip: Make your message extra thoughtful by sharing some of your favourite memories together.
Inspirational Father’s Day Quotes
Our dads are a huge inspiration to us, especially when we are younger. So, why not choose one of these heartfelt and inspiring quotes for your Father’s Day card.
- "My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he believed in me." – Jim Valvano
- "A father is the one friend upon whom we can always rely.” – Emile Gaboriau
- "Anyone can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad, and that's why I call you dad, because you are so special to me." – Wade Boggs
- "By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he’s wrong." – Charles Wadsworth
- "Any fool can have a child. That doesn't make you a father. It's the courage to raise a child that makes you a father." – Barack Obama
Funny Father’s Day Messages
We know dads love a (dad) joke or two so why not share some humour of your own by penning a funny Father’s Day message? Here are some ideas to inspire you.
- “Thanks for working hard to pay for the TV that raised me.”
- “Dad, I promise I’ll move out eventually (probably).”
- “Happy Father’s Day, love from your favourite financial burden.”
- “Dad, my aim in life is to be as funny as you think you are.”
- “I hope your Father’s Day isn’t as much of a disappointment to you as my siblings are.”
- “Happy Father’s Day! I think being your child is the only gift you’ll ever need!”
Funny Father’s Day Quotes
If you’re struggling to find an original joke, why not borrow someone else’s? Here are a few comedy quotes you can include in a card to make your dad chuckle this Father’s Day.
- "A father carries pictures where his money used to be." – Steve Martin
- "Being a dad isn't just about eating a huge bag of gummy bears as your wife gives birth. It means being comfortable with the word 'hero.'" – Ryan Reynolds
- “The older I get, the smarter my father seems to get.” – Tim Russert
- “You can tell what was the best year of your father’s life, because they seem to freeze that clothing style and ride it out.” – Jerry Seinfeld
- “Dad taught me everything I know. Unfortunately, he didn’t teach me everything he knows.” – Al Unser
Short and sweet Father’s Day quotes and messages
You don’t need to write an essay to let him know how much he means to you. Just take a look at these short but sweet Father’s Day messages.
- “Thanks for always believing in me.”
- “For being everything I could ask for and more. Thank you.”
- “It is a wise father that knows his own child.” - William Shakespeare
- “A father doesn’t tell you that he loves you. He shows you.” - Dimitri the Stoneheart
- “The imprint of a father remains forever on the life of the child.” - Roy Lessin
- “Fatherhood is a marathon, not a sprint.” - Paul L. Lewis
For Dads who live miles away
We can’t always be there to see our dads, but that’s okay. You can still send a message to let him know you are thinking of him on his special day. Why not send it along with a great Father’s Day gift to really make his day?
- “You may be miles away, but I’m still thinking of you. Happy Father’s Day.”
- “Near or far, you’re still my dad and I love you.”
- “Missing you (but not the dad jokes).”
- “I might not see you every day but I want you to know that I love you all the same.”
- “Happy Father’s Day from across the ocean.”
For Someone who is like a Dad
Not every dad is biological. Sometimes we have other people in our lives who are father figures to us. So, whoever your dad might be, let them know how appreciated they are this Father’s Day with a special message.
- “We may not share the same blood, but you are the best dad I could ever wish for.”
- “Thanks for being there when I needed someone most.”
- “I realise you’re technically not my dad, but I don’t think I could function without you so that deserves a card.”
- “I may not call you “dad”, but you are still my father. Happy Father’s Day.”
- “As each year passes, I learn more and more from you. Thank you for playing an important role in my life.”
Father’s Day Messages for Grandfather
Sometimes it’s our grandads and grandpas that are the heroes in our life. So, why not celebrate them on Father’s Day too? Whether your message is funny or heartfelt, it’s sure to be appreciated.
- “All your years of wisdom are starting to rub off...sort of. Thanks Grandad!”
- “You really are GRAND. Love you Grandpa”
- “You hold a special place in our hearts, right where the love is. Have a great Father’s Day Grandad!”
- “Grandad, thanks for being in all my favourite memories.”
- “Happy Father’s Day Sorry for being a little troublemaker but let’s be honest, I’m an angel compared to my dad!”
Messages for a New Dad
Being a first-time dad isn’t always easy. So, show your support and admiration with a Father’s Day message to mark this special occasion – it can even be written from the new baby to let Dad know he’s doing a great job!
- “Daddy, thanks for wiping my bum and getting up for my night feeds.”
- “I know I’m new to the world, but I already know you’re the best dad in it!”
- “You may be new to this ‘dad’ thing but you’re already pretty great at it.”
- “Being a father is the most important job a man will ever have. Happy Father’s Day.”
- “Being a dad isn’t easy, but you’ll get the hang of it.”
- “Wishing you all the wonder and joy that fatherhood brings. Here’s to a lifetime of love and happiness.”
Messages for Soon-to-Be Dads
They may not be a dad just yet, but you can still send them a message this Father’s Day. Celebrate the father-to-be with a message of comfort (or humour) about what’s to come.
- “Happy (Soon-to-be) Father’s Day!”
- “Daddy, I can’t wait for that first cuddle. With love from the bump.”
- “Congrats on being a nearly-new dad! Don’t worry it gets easier harder from here.”
- “Look forward to hand-drawn crayon portraits and sticky cards over the next few years!”
- “I hope you are as excited to meet me as I am to meet you, Dad. Love from the bump.”
- “I know you are nervous about becoming a father, but remember I believe in you. You’re going to be a great dad. Happy (nearly) Father’s Day.”
For Husbands or Partners
They’re your other half, your partner in crime and the man who you share your life with. Whether you’re still in the midst of messy nappies and sleepless nights or looking back and laughing at how far you’ve come, we’ve got some ideas to help you write the perfect message.
- “Thank you for helping me through the sleepless nights, terrible tantrums and taking your fair share of nappy changes. Happy Father’s Day!”
- “I couldn’t imagine a more caring father than you. I’m so happy we chose this life together.”
- “Being a fantastic dad only makes me love you more.”
- “Whatever parenthood throws at us, you never fail to be an amazing dad.”
- “It’s true, a man can look hot while holding a nappy bag. I would know, I married you!”
How to write your own Father's Day message
- Keep them in mind - Do they enjoy banter? Do you share any hobbies or interests? The best messages are always personal so writing about the things you love about them and what you share are a great way to make them feel special.
- Keep it simple - Sometimes less is more, and the perfect message is simply about creating something heartfelt. Think about what they mean to you and the words will soon follow.